The IVF Unit Fertility Clinic at the Sheba Medical Center was the first of its kind in Israel. Established in the 1980s, in September 1982 the first "Test Tube Baby" in Israel was born at the clinic. Israel is the fifth country to have delivered a "Test Tube Baby". Since then, the IVF Fertility Unit has been at the forefront of this field, and is one of the most modern and innovative of its kind. The unit is recognized in Israel and internationally for its innovative and high quality medical treatment and research and for numerous impressive achievements in this field such as:
Diagnosis and treatment of fertility problems (hormonal, uterine or fallopian tube impairment, sperm quality, unexplained infertility).
IVF Treatment (including micromanipulation, ICSI, laser AHA, blastacyst growth, ultrasound involved embryo placement, cryo-preservation of embryo).
ZIFT Treatment: sometimes employed to return eggs, sperm or embryo, to the fallopian tubes or uterus. This procedure is called ZIFT and is applicable mainly in cases where conventional treatment procedures have failed, in women whose fallopian tubes are patent. Placement of the embryo is performed under general anesthesia by a laparoscopic procedure.
- Procedures for treatment of infertility (fallopian tube blockage, resection of uterine, fibroid and ovarian cysts.
- Genetic diagnosis of embryos (PGD) performed prior to placement in the womb (in cooperation with the Genetics Institute). Genetic counseling prior to pregnancy, considered an innovative field worldwide, utilizes the chromosomal diagnosis of cells prior to placement within the uterus to determine the status of embryo chromosomes, such as sex, sex chromosome-related genetic disorders, and specific genetic disease carriers. Identifying chromosomal structure in the embryo may help prevent repeated miscarriages, and chromosomal interference in the developing embryo.
- Treatment of all aspect of sperm quantity and quality - sperm accumulation and freezing, sperm tube, procedure for retrieving sperm from testicles, electric stimulation for ejaculation.
- Preservation of fertility in men and women who have been diagnosed with cancer - cryo-preservation of ovary sections and of eggs.
- Support groups to assist couples undergoing treatment, to deal with emotional problems.
Patients from all HMO groups are referred for treatment to the unit. Over 1,000 IVF procedures are performed annually.
The unit also excels with regard to follow-up and quality control, employing computerized systems for follow up of test results, treatment, and success rates.
Clinic at a Glance
Director - Prof. Jehoshua Dor
| Address - The Joseph Buchman Gynecology and Maternity Center|
| E-mail - Jehoshua.Dor@sheba.health.gov.il|
| Tel - 972-3-530-2882|